Saturday, March 1, 2014

Choices, choices, choices

Rickey Henderson rockin' a Jays uni!

The last set I remember pursuing from packs was 1994 Upper Deck Collector's Choice.  I didn't even know it wasn't the only Upper Deck issue for that year.  Though I'm not sure it would have mattered.  I much prefer the Collector's Choice design over just plain old 1994 Upper Deck anyway.

Not only do I prefer the white borders to the "regular issue" full bleed, I find the photos are just so much brighter.


This set marks the first time parallel sets caught my eye, too.  I'm still a big fan of it.  One silver per pack, one gold per box.  Simple design, still clean, but just catchy enough to be interesting.  When I started to actually checklist how close to a complete Blue Jays team set I'd be, I thought for sure I had the complete base set.  I'm surprised to see that I'm still short 6 cards, given how much of this stuff I opened.  That's no complaint though, because it gives me something to chase.  This will be one of my primary focuses when I start acquiring cards.

Here's an example of the type of trio I'm looking to collect (gold image from eBay)
And since I'm only focusing on Blue Jays cards (and not the whole set), I'm gonna take a run at the silver and gold parallels as well.  I only have 3 silver sigs and no gold, so a ways to go.  If you have any that you're willing to part with, I'd love to hear from you to see if we can work out a trade!  My progress is posted on its own page, found here.

Thanks for reading.

Richard.

2 comments:

  1. I never really considered it before but I too prefer Collector's Choice to the base set in 1994. They just seem to be more fun and I especially like the "old timey position guys" (for lack of a better term) that are on all the regular cards. Plus there were some pretty cool subsets in there too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see I'm not alone in this one. And speaking of "old timey" how about Ripken and his cell phone in this set? ;)

      Delete