Saturday, March 8, 2014

Complete: 1991 OPC Premier Toronto Blue Jays

As I started to write this blog post today, two things occurred to me:

a.) The set I'm about to write about is 23 years old
b.) I am WAY behind in my collecting

Rather than just fold up my laptop and pretend none of this happened, though, we're going to muddle through.  After all, I already scanned some cards for this post ;)

So without any further adieu, let's take a look at 1991 O-Pee-Chee Premier.  I only vaguely remember this set from 1991.  I know I had a couple of these cards in my collection, but I don't actually remember opening any packs until many years later when I bought a wax box on eBay for six or seven bucks.  I managed to complete the set within the box, pulling the last card I needed -- Roberto Alomar -- out of pack number 36.

The great thing about this set, for me, is that 15 of the 132 cards are Toronto Blue Jays.  I believe 12 are Montreal Expos, meaning the bulk of the set is Canadian teams.  We're talking about O-Pee-Chee, though; what else would you expect?

Design-wise, the set is pretty simple.  A large photo, surrounded on three sides by a team-coloured gradient border, with a gold border across the team featuring the O-Pee-Chee and Premier logos.  All of that is surrounded by a white border, which also serves as the backdrop for the player's name, team and position (in French and English), which is situated below the photo.  In 1991, I'm sure this set was considered to be pretty cool.  Looking back at them, the photo quality is actually pretty unimpressive. 

Having said that, I do actually like this set -- partly due to the simplicity.  I also like this set because of the selection of Toronto Blue Jays.  For starters, they included Alomar, Carter and White, all of whom just joined the team in 1991.  They also included rookie cards of Mike Timlin and Denis Boucher (a Canadian, who is only featured on 5 total baseball cards with the Blue Jays) as well as second-year player, John Olerud.   You also get established Blue Jays like Gruber, Henke and Stieb.  That's a pretty good selection of players in my estimation.

So there you have it.  1991 O-Pee-Chee Premier is in the books.  I haven't made much of a dent in the 1992 set, so for those of you that don't wanna read about this kind of junk wax you get a little bit of reprieve.

Thanks for reading!

Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment