Sunday, March 16, 2014

Just how huge is 4000?

Robert over at $30 a week habit recently posted that he hit the 4000 card milestone with his Jays collection.  Tip of the cap, sir.  Nicely done.

As a fellow Jays collector, the significance of this milestone is not lost on me.  Over the past few weeks I have been sorting through my Jays cards trying to catalog them, weed out the duplicates and organize my wantlists.  It takes a lot more time than I expected.  And I'm dealing with less than 4000 total.  So to imagine more different cards than I even have total cards is intimidating at this point.  Now I hope to get there at some point, but it'll be a while.

Let's consider 4000 for a moment.

If $30 a week habit was a baseball player, it'd be third all-time on the MLB hits list.  Fourth, if you consider Ichiro's combined NPB/MLB totals.  Rose, Cobb, Ichiro, $30 a week habit.  That's some pretty serious company.  And that's coming into the season.  By the end of 2014 I'm guessing $30 a week habit will have passed Rose.

If $30 a week habit was actually a Blue Jay, that'd be more hits than current #1 and #2 on the Jays all-time list (Fernandez, 1583 and Wells, 1529).  Late this season, or maybe early next, $30 a week habit may have as many hits as Fernandez, Wells and Delgado (1413) combined. 

Just to make this even more ridiculous, consider this:

Earlier today I grabbed a stack of Jays cards covering all eras, brands, etc and measured them.  Based on some quick math (assuming quick = correct), the average thickness of each card is 0.015917603 inches.  That means that 4000 cards stacked in a pile would stand just over 5' 31/2".  That's only 21/2" shorter than David Eckstein, the shortest Jays player of record, I can find.  Surpassing Rose's hit total will result in a collection that is taller than David Eckstein!
 
And in case you haven't given up on this post yet, it'll take another thousand cards after surpassing Rose's hit total for the collection to be taller than Jon Rauch, the tallest player in both Blue Jays and  MLB history.

Once again, congratulations.

Thanks for reading!

Richard.

2 comments:

  1. Now that really puts things into perspective!!

    I appreciate the post, it made me chuckle and think at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. Though I doubt you'll need it. Keep up the good work here and you'll be there in no time. Thanks for the birthday wishes... that helped me to discover your site. Got you on my blog roll now. I think my favorite thing that I see here so far is that Gil Patterson card with the radar gun. Now that's Random!

    ReplyDelete