Wednesday, March 26, 2014

My first trade post -- it'll take a while to top this!

More than once, I've heard that everything is bigger in Texas. And while I've never actually been there, now I believe it.

Before I started this blog, I made a trade with Texas native Rich Klein (yes, the Rich Klein of "Rich's Ramblings" fame; if you haven't already, you should check out his column on SportsCollectorsDaily.com).  The deal was simple.  I sent Rich some pre-war cards that didn't fit my collection and in return he put together a box of Blue Jays cards covering 1977-2014.

This was on my porch this morning
Based on our discussions, I figured the box would be a good for some entertainment; and add some cards to my collection.  Rich said it would take him some time to get together, and that was that.  I waited patiently.  I figured I'd be lucky and get 1600 mixed Jays cards to go through.  If I was really lucky, maybe I'd get 3200 of 'em.  When I got home this morning, I found an absolutely massive box on my porch.  Somehow I didn't even notice it at first.  I had parked on the road and was half-way up my (short) driveway when I saw it.  My first thought isn't safe for print; suffice it to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Here are a couple additional photos to give you an idea of just how many cards were actually in this box.  And as you may well have imagined, any plans I had of getting stuff done around the house today were basically shot.  I spent a solid couple of hours just looking through these cards.  Cataloging them will take me weeks, but I at least ripped through quickly and found the pre-1995 Topps and Upper Deck cards to update my posted wantlists.  But that's just the tip of the iceberg.  Had you asked me yesterday, I'd have said my collection was short on 1981-1988 Fleer, 1981-1987 Donruss and 1988-1990 Score.  I don't think I can say that today, though.  My challenge now is going to be to get through this monster and sort everything out.

As agreed upon with Rich, there is some duplication in this box specifically for trading.  If you have any particular Jays cards you're looking for (especially base sets), let me know!  I can almost guarantee that I can help with your wantlists, and maybe we can setup a trade.

Thanks for reading!

Richard.

7 comments:

  1. You might win the prize for largest trade package ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping that prize is all the Topps Traded hits I'm missing ;)

      Delete
  2. Good lord that is a bunch of cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. With how much snow we still have up here, it basically still is like Christmas!

      Delete
  4. I can easily say that I'm not now, nor have I ever been that far behind with my Jays collection.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to need more than luck; but be ready because there are going to be a lot more Blue Jays heading your way.

      Delete