Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The chase is over! 2002 Team Issue Limited Edition

Many years ago, I made a trade for a pile of Blue Jays cards.  I don't remember the details of the trade, but I remember receiving a bunch of stuff I'd never seen before.  Among other things, I got 15-20 cards from a set I couldn't identify.  Check out the Carlos Delgado pictured to the left.  I love the design.

The collector I made the deal with didn't know what they were, nor did he remember where he got them.  And Google searches showed up nothing (how do you search for a set you can't name?).  Some singles showed up on eBay but not at a price I was willing to pay.  I regretted not getting them for my set.

Fast forward 5-6 years.  By now I have figured out that the set is commonly referred to as '2002 Toronto Blue Jays Team Issue Limited Edition', but still nobody is selling it.  Until last week.

A random Google search using the new found name, and boo-ya.  Kijiji listing.  Full set, with box.  Five bucks.  So after a couple of emails and a very accommodating seller, I now have the complete set.  Indeed, I am happy with this find.

So not only does that mean that I now have that original group of 15 or 20 cards available for trade if anyone's looking, it means that I can post more scans!

Let's continue the photo sharing with Gil Patterson.  Who?  Gil Patterson.  Never heard of him?  Yeah, me either.  Admittedly I wasn't following much modern baseball in 2002.  But check out this card!  I've been in the pre-war game for most of the last 10 years, so maybe this is more common than I think, but the radar gun is awfully prominent in this card.  That's really why I had to share it.


Now back to Mr. Patterson.  According to www.baseball-reference.com, he was essentially a career minor leaguer except for 10 games he played for the Yankees in 1977.  And according to www.wikipedia.org, he has been actively involved in pitching from the coaching side (coordinator, bullpen coach, pitching coach) since 1997, including being the Jays Pitching coach from 2002-2004 after spending 2001 as their bullpen coach.

Sticking with the pitching theme, here's one of Roy Halladay, who has to be considered one of Patterson's star pupils.  In 2002 he managed 19 wins (1 more than his career total to that point) and in 2003, 22 wins on his way to a Cy Young Award.

And from one workhouse pitcher to another, I'd be remiss if I didn't post the Chris Carpenter card from this set.  Like Halladay, this guy was an absolute workhouse.  He had some great years with the Cardinals to say the least, picking up a Cy Young Award of his own in 2005 and a pair of World Series rings in 2006 and 2011.

Anyway, there you have it.  My 2002 Toronto Blue Jays Team Issue Limited Edition set is now complete.

Thanks for reading!

Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment