Thursday, September 3, 2015

Joe Carter rainbows ... 90s style

With the way card manufacturers go about producing parallels these days, it seems you need to commit to double-digits of any given card to even be in the ballpark of having a chance to "complete the rainbow". Twenty years ago, though, that wasn't the case.

In fact, I'm not even sure I can name a set prior to 1992 that had parallels. I'm sure there must have been one, but I don't know what it is. What I do remember is 1992 and 1993 Topps having the various flavours of gold parallels. But it was the 1994 Collector's Choice parallels that have always been my favourite. I continue to debate with myself about whether or not I should just bite the bullet and attempt to complete the entire 94 CC set in base, silver and gold (knowing that the gold would be a very long term project).

Until then, I'm quite happy just pursuing the Toronto Blue Jays -- though I must admit that as that winds down, and even as I shift my focus to Joe Carter cards, I am quietly considering picking another team to "complete". But I digress...

Today I thought it might be fun just to look at a couple of "simple" rainbows that I've put together within my Joe Carter collection. The first pic shows a scan of the base, silver and gold parallel from the 1994 Collector's Choice release. I still need to grab a Carter for my "team set" (no double dipping!), but am thrilled to at least have one so far.



By the time 1995 rolled around, I had basically stopped buying baseball cards. I'm sure I bought some, but to be honest, I don't remember. And I definitely didn't still have any. The three Carters shown below are from the 1995 Collector's Choice set, which continued to issue 3 "versions" of each card, but much less subtly. I actually much prefer the gold border on the 1994 set. If the light isn't right, it can actually be difficult to see the gold in the signature of the 1995 version. When the silver and gold are side-by-side it's pretty easy.




Anyway, that's really all. I don't expect this pace to continue, but I've had time to scan cards the last couple days and figured I should spin some of those scans into blog posts.

Thanks for reading.

Richard.

1 comment:

  1. Those have got to be my favorite parallels also (and I have a soft spot for 93 Topps gold and 94 UD electric diamond). It's impossible not to like silver (and gold) signatures ! I think I only own a couple of gold signatures, though, and maybe only one BLue Jays

    ReplyDelete