Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Well it's no Buck Weaver, but ...

Today kicks off two weeks of vacation for me. A little odd to start on a Tuesday, I admit, but a holiday is a holiday. And regardless of what day of the week it is, how better way to start a vacation than to arrive home and find a COMC package waiting on my front porch? This was a particularly eventful parcel, too, as it contained 3 more 1994 Collector's Choice gold parallels, another 1977 O-Pee-Chee Blue Jay and over 2 dozen Joe Carter cards, bringing my Zistle total to 540.

With any luck, I'll showcase some of the other stuff in a subsequent post in the next couple days, but today I want to focus on one card: A 2011 Tristar OBAK T4 Cabinet. For those that aren't aware, the OBAK name comes a tobacco brand that issued baseball cards of the PCL and NWL from 1909-11. In many respects, the set is similar to the T206 set of the same years, featuring different advertising backs, similar lithography and a pretty large checklist. That series, designated T212, features cards of Ten Million, Buck Weaver and Chick Gandil, among others.

Also offered by OBAK, was a series of cabinet cards that could be redeemed in exchange for cigarette pack coupons. This series, as you may have guessed, has been designated T4. Many of the cards that are part of that set have yet to be confirmed as even still existing. Quite a few of the players in this checklist are unknown to the mainstream (even among prewar collectors), but the set remains very popular due to it's rarity. In 2011, a Buck Weaver from the set sold at auction for nearly 20K.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the Tristar OBAK series. But I really like these cabinets. When this popped up on COMC a couple weeks ago, I jumped on it without even blinking. I actually don't even know what I paid for it (yes, I could check), I just saw the Carter OBAK and grabbed it. It wasn't even until I got the card in hand yesterday that I realized the player on the other side is Bobby Thomson and not Bill Mazeroski. Talk about attention to detail on my part ;)

Anyway, here they are. Like the original OBAK, these cards measure about 3.5" x 5.5", have that kinda burlap-y brown colour and an oval frame featuring a player picture. The crossed backs logo shown on the bottom left of the front of the card is similar to what is found on the originals. The picture of Thomson on the back is Tristar putting their own spin on the design, as the originals have blank backs. Yeah, it works. Like I said, not a big fan of the Tristar OBAK stuff, but I do like these cabinets. I have no idea how I'm going to store this with the rest of my Carters, though, so with only 15 in the set maybe I should just collect them all for a binder of their own ;)

Thanks for reading.

Richard.


No comments:

Post a Comment