Sunday, February 14, 2016

The choice has been made.

In the past 24 hours I have done two things. First, I bought a jumbo box of 1994 Collector's Choice Series 1. And second, I bought one of every 1994 Collector's Choice Gold Signature off of COMC that was priced at a dollar or less.

You can probably figure out where this is going. And no, I really haven't lost my focus. For the past 18-months I've been steadily building my Joe Carter collection. I think it's going well. My Zistle collection is out of date, but I have broken the 800-card mark and I still have my sights set on getting to 1000. I'm even starting to think about collecting Carter past the 1000-card mark, but now I *am* losing focus.

The point of this post is to talk about one of my favourite sets: 1994 Collector's Choice. I've said it on this blog before -- I'm a huge fan. At different times, I've owned original OJs, T206s, Cracker Jacks, Goudeys, 40's and 50's Bowman and Topps and on-and-on. But no set has the sentimental value that 1994 Collector's Choice has. It is the last set I actively collected as a kid. I still remember the thrill of pulling a gold parallel (Dave Magadan; though it's long gone), and I still have the Home Run All-Stars set that I pulled a redemption card for.

For the past few years I've been building the Blue Jays team sets. And secretly, I've known it was just the beginning. The base Jays team set is done, the silver parallel set is done, and I'm 4 cards away from completing the gold parallel set. And since I was pretty sure all hell was going to break loose after those four cards anyway, I've decided to jump the gun. So with 4 cards remaining in my gold parallel Jays team set, I have decided to go after the whole thing. The base, the silver, the gold. I know it's ambitious to go after the gold, but I think the silver is plenty do-able and the base will be easy. And I know it's going to take a while, but if the idea hasn't faded in the past 22 years, it's probably not going to!

So there it is. I've said it. I am now officially attempting to collect the entire 670-card 1994 Collector's Choice baseball set in all three "versions". I anticipate going after the Team vs. Team subset and the promo(s) as well, but am going to conveniently forget about the white letter variations.

That said, if you have any 1994 Collector's Choice burning a hole in your collection, let's talk ;)

Thanks for reading.

Richard.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck on your Collectors Choice Quest. I know I have some of those, but they are buried deep in an attic at my parents house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt!
      At that attic thing is my only fear. I don't know how many of each gold were issued, but I hope I don't get close only to find I need some obscure common that is buried in attics across Canada & the USA never to see the light of day again ;)

      Delete
  2. I have a few of the base.. That's about it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you come up with a formal want list of each type of set??I can go through whatever I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you check out my Zistle you'll see it. At this point I need a LOT, especially series 2 since I have the series 1 box on the way.

      Any help would be hugely appreciated!

      Delete