Thursday, February 25, 2016

Zistle trade with Olerud363 gets the quest rolling

Arrived home from work yesterday to find not one, but two, packages of baseball cards in the mailbox. That is how every day should be. Then again, maybe not, I'd have a lot of explaining to do.

Anyway, last week I updated my Zistle account with all my haves and wants for the 1994 Collector's Choice set. I figure the base and silver sets will be easy enough to track down, and that I'll pursue them more casually, but having been chasing the Blue Jays from this set for a few years now, I know that specific gold cards can be tough to find. And that there will likely only be a few opportunities to obtain them in bunches. So with those, I plan to acquire them as often as I see them for a good price. And in the case of Zistle, trade for whatever I can.

In the past week or so, this aggressiveness has netted me just over 2-dozen new gold cards. I kind of feel like Charlie in that scene from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory where the store owner warns him of a bellyache. But even at 52 so far, I have a long way to go to get to 670. Two of those 52 arrived in my mailbox yesterday, courtesy of Zistle trader Olerud363. As his profile name might suggest, this guy is a John Olerud collector. Jays fans probably recognize the 363 as well -- that was John Olerud's batting average in 1993, the year he won the AL batting title. And on the note of batting titles, 0.363 was Larry Walker's batting average in 1998, the year he won his first NL batting title, but I digress.

The bottom line is this: Olerud363 has a stellar John Olerud collection, he is a stellar Zistle trader, and thanks to him, I am 2 cards closer to completing my gold set.

Thanks for reading!

Richard.

PS: The second package that arrived was a Jumbo box of 1994 Collector's Choice Series 1. We'll talk about that in some subsequent posts, I'm sure.

5 comments:

  1. Wait until you have to shell out for the Jeter, Griffey, Thomas, Michael Jordan versions in gold!!! I advice grabbing them as soon as they pop up, they are highly coveted so the disappear pretty quick even at $40-$70 each ungraded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I wasn't too worried about Thomas until you said that; those others, I know, are going to be expensive. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled, though.

      Delete
  2. What a cool project. Hopefully you can pull out of packs some of the more coveted ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, here's hoping. I have Series 1 and 2 wax boxes on the way because ripping the packs is also just a lot of fun.

      Delete
  3. Richard -- what's your Zistle name? I'm Dawgfan1995. Hit me up so I can see what I might be able to send your way.

    ReplyDelete