Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Best laid plans

Last night was supposed to be my catch-up night. I have a couple trade posts to finish up, and after busting through a couple wax boxes of Collector's Choice, have to update my Zistle collection to reflect what I have to trade. But this plan quickly came unwound because I checked the mail on the way to my computer.

Last week I bought a lot of 1994 silver signatures. I did it because it cost me less than $6. The pictures made it a bit tough to quantify how many cards were there, and the auction description was a bit vague. But I was confident it wasn't a full set, and for the price, I couldn't turn it up. The auction images showed some HoFers so I knew I was getting some bang for the buck, and figured at best, I might add 2-300 cards to my set. What I didn't expect was what now appears to be a near-set of probably more than 500 cards. Truth is, I haven't even made it all the way through the box yet. I quickly checked and didn't find any Jordan, Jeter or A-Rod cards, which I didn't expect anyway, but what I did get was some Griffey (one of which I won't keep for my set since it's miscut), Piazza, Nolan Ryan, George Brett, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, and a pile more. There are so many cards here that I watched nearly the entire Pirates/Phillies game on MLB.tv and barely made it half-way through the box. It's still early, but it's very possible that by the time I make it through this box, I'll need fewer cards to complete my silver signature set than I will to complete the base set. Oh, and now that I've started this, I kinda need to finish it to clear off my desk (am on my laptop right now) since that is where my scanner is, and I need it to wrap-up the aforementioned trade posts.

So, my apologies to my fellow bloggers out there, to whom I owe a couple trade posts, but, as I'm sure you can appreciate, you've been bumped by more cards. Best laid plans...

Oh, and if you're a collector of either Lord of the Ring cards, or Upper Deck golf cards, let me know. The seller book-ended the box with both (including a couple unopened packs of golf) to protect the cards, and I have no interest in keeping that stuff, so it's free to a good home, if you just let me know.

Thanks for reading!

Richard.

2 comments:

  1. Here's a set I'd definitely consider trying to complete ! looks like your task was made suddenly easier on you

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is part good fortune, but also takes the fun out of pursuing the cards as well. Guess you will have to settle for methodically tracking down the gold sigs.

    ReplyDelete