Monday, March 21, 2016

Justice has been served. Finally.

See what I did right there? The real reason I'm so far behind on trade posts is that it requires a great deal of effort to come up with such witty titles for my posts.

But seriously, this one is long overdue. In an earlier post, I mentioned that Mike, from Not Another Baseball Card Blog, hooked me up with some 1994 Collector's Choice for my set. I broke that into two posts, this being the second part of that.

To recap: He sent me a series 1 base card of John Kruk. After a couple of trades and busting a couple boxes (a Series 1 jumbo and a Series 1 wax), that card was the only one missing to complete my Series 1 base set. I'm still surprised, and thrilled, by that.

So now, to round out the trade package, here's some of the highlights of the nearly two-dozen series 2 cards he sent. On top of the pile was this David Justice checklist card. I love what Upper Deck did with the checklists in this set. I love the style of the artwork (kinda reminds me of those paint-by-number things), the choice of colours and players, and I actually like that Series 1 ends with the Series 1 checklists and Series 2 starts with the Series 2 checklists. There are 12 total checklists in that subset (5 in Series 1 and 7 in Series 2), and they're all awesome. Equally cool is that the same artwork is used on the actual card packs, with I think, one exception. In Series 2 there are packs that feature Joe Carter, but he is not represented as a checklist. Given Griffey's relationship with Upper Deck, if anyone was going to get 2 checklists in this subset it should be him, but given how Carter ended 1993 combined with my obvious Carter-bias, I kinda feel like maybe his pack could have also been a card, but I'm not gonna dwell on it. Too much ;)

The next card that jumps out of the stack is that of Kirk Gibson. And not because of his 1988 World Series home run, but because of the absolutely ridiculous photo. And while I'm talking about the photo on the front, the one on the back is equally ridiculous. And by ridiculous, I mean hilarious.

Next up, more recognizable names of the 1990s. The truth is, I could have scanned nearly every card in the stack and if you were collecting between 1985-1995 you'd know these guys almost immediately. A couple guys not making the cut include Walt Weiss, Trevor Hoffman and Cecil Fielder, for example. But onto guys that *did* make the cut.

We've got Albert Belle, whose captured here grimacing toothily. That's a word, right? Maybe it's toothly. Either way, you have to believe he's watching a long foul ball here knowing his *just* missed mashing another home run. He's probably mostly remembered for corked bats and umpire locker rooms, but in 12 seasons he mashed 381 home runs. That's a productive career.

Next up, we've got Kent Hrbek. As a kid, I really only knew this guy because I remembered his odd last name. That is the honest truth. I knew he was a 1B for the Twins, and he had an odd last name. Upon reading about him now, I didn't realize he was a native of the Gopher state and a career Twin. Now, thanks to Mike, Kent is more than just a funny last name ;)


Rounding out this post, we've got Jack McDowell. Remember this guy? I do. I remember the Jays facing him and the White Sox in the 1993 ALCS, the year he won the Cy Young Award and was an all-star. He's featured on 3 cards in the 1994 Collector's Choice set, the other two being commemorative of him being a "Wins Leader" and having won the aforementioned Cy Young. And I seem to remember this guy being super tough to face in Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball. Just typing that makes me want to bust out a Super Nintendo and play that game. Too bad both the game and console are long gone. Man that game was great. Just like this trade package. Thanks again Mike!

Thanks for reading.

Richard.

2 comments:

  1. With Kirk Gibson's knees you would figure the last thing he needs to be doing is lifting up other players....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome again! Glad you like them

    ReplyDelete