Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Trading my way to a mini-milestone...

Just a quick post, today, mostly to send a shout out to Chris (aka. casejonz).

Chris and I met through Zistle and have swapped Carter cards in the past. He's a solid dude, and has amassed one heck of a Carter collection. As I've been re-focusing my Carter collection, I reached out to him to see if there was a snowball's chance that some of my "discards", might fill a hole in his wantlist. Admittedly, I was surprised to be able to send him some cards he didn't already have, but he wasted no time in reciprocating, as he'd been setting aside some 1994 CC silver for me. And not just your run of the mill 1994 CC but some serious HOFers.

He also happened to have available the one remaining 'Team vs Team' card I needed, so he gets the distinct honour of being "that guy" that helped put that set to rest of me. To date, that means I've completed the Home Run All-Stars, and now, the Team vs. Team. Still have work to do on the other sets, but it's nice to reach a mini-milestone. And Chris' help didn't stop there.

He'd set aside a pair of Big Hurt cards for me. One I needed, and the other, I didn't *technically* need, but in turns out the one he sent was actually a solid upgrade to the one I had. A while back I bought a lot of 1994 Silver and quite a few of them were very scratched and even kind of dirty. Was quite happy to swap out for a cleaner/crisper card, and actually replaced a Clemens card the same way. And it's only now, as I'm typing this, that I see that Thomas is about to lay a tag on a diving Rickey Henderson. Cool.

The other Thomas card Chris sent along was the team card. The 1994 Collector's Choice has some excellent subsets. The full-bleed team checklists are as good as it gets. Awesome player selection, awesome images. Differentiating the gold and silver signatures on this subset can be tough. Still a really sweet set of photos.

Saving the best for last, The Captain. I couldn't agree to a trade fast enough when Chris mentioned that he had a Silver Jeter set aside for me. I managed to pull the base Jeter from the only Series 2 box that I opened, but not the silver. The gold definitely still eludes me, and will for a while, but I'm thrilled to have the silver in the mix. I read today that he's going to try to buy the Marlins along with a group of investors. No idea if it'll work out; it sounds like there are some other wealthy groups in competition for the team, but I'll certainly be watching that story unfold.

But there you have it. Was definitely thrilled to open this trade package. I'm now 48 cards away from completing the 1994 Collector's Choice Silver set.


Thanks for the trade Chris, and for including all of the extras!

Thanks for reading.

Richard.

2 comments:

  1. I think you can say you are officially close now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Silver set is within reach. Still less than half-way with the gold sigs, but that's okay. Every card I slip into my binders for this set is a trip down memory lane, so I'm in no rush to finish.

      Delete